About Me

My photo
I am a "Twenty something" year old Swedish girl, currently living in Montreal for the past 5 years. I recently started blogging. I write a lot about my life in Montreal, work, traveling, shopping, friends and sometimes a little bit about LOVE. Even though my blog talks a lot about fashion I would not call it a "fashion blog". I am not quite sure what to call this blog. I blog about everything I love around the world. It can be anything from fashion to food. It's simply a Viktoria blog, a blog about the things I love...so I will call it ViktoriaLove! Welcome to my blog!

ViktoriaLove has a new website

ViktoriaLove has a new URL click HERE to visit the new site


August 21, 2010

The Swedish Crayfish Party

Share

As the Swedish summer draws to a close, you may be lucky enough to experience warm, clear August nights that are almost Mediterranean in character. That’s when Swedes (just like me ) have their crayfish parties. Which is exactly what I am going to have!

Have you ever heard about crayfish parties in Canada? I don't think they exist, well maybe, but definitely not Swedish style they way I am going to to do. : )
So, for all of you who don't know what crayfish is or how good it is let me tell you a little history about it.

Where it all began...

Crayfish have been eaten in Sweden since the 16th century. For a long while, only the aristocracy partook of these delicacies, as popular suspicion of shellfish was widespread. Originally, crayfish meat was used for sausage, ragout, patties or puddings.

In the mid-19th century, people started eating crayfish as they are eaten today. The crayfish feast or crayfish supper in the month of August spread through the middle classes. In the 20th century, crayfish became a national delicacy and people in all sectors of society began celebrating the occasion. The price of crayfish fell as a result of imports from Turkey and elsewhere. The crayfish feast, at which people gather to eat, drink and be merry, is a typically Swedish festivity marking the end of the summer.


The crayfish is accompanied by cheese, bread, beer and of course: Schnapps.

So trust me this is going to be lots of fun, especially for all my Canadian friends who don't celebrate this. I will post pics from the event to show you how much fun it can actually be. However, now I got to go to IKEA to buy some crayfish and decorations. : ) I can't wait!!! I am soooo excited!

xoxo

No comments:

Blogg listad på Bloggtoppen.seblogarama.comFollow my blog with bloglovin